If you are going to run a sweepstake on Twitter in which participants must retweet a post, you should take into account several aspects:
- The Twitter Sweepstakes application will not be able to collect all the participations. It only performs a random selection of the retweets, in order to make the sweepstakes.
- The Twitter API only allows you to collect content that is up to 7 days old. Therefore, we always recommend creating the monitoring in Cool Tabs as soon as you publish it, to avoid losing data and entries.
- The API focuses on relevance. For this reason, not all data from monitoring may be displayed. This can happen when emojis and rare characters are included.
If your sweepstake has a hashtag, and you want to collect all entries, you can opt to run the sweepstakes from a content monitor.
Here's how to do it.
2. Step by step.
2.1. Create the monitoring.
2) Go to the "Monitoring" section.
3) Click on the 'Twitter Content' button.
4) If this is the first time you create a monitoring in Cool Tabs, you must associate a Twitter profile.
Click on the 'Login with Twitter' button and authorize Cool Tabs App to access your account by logging into your Twitter account.
5) Enter the Twitter hashtag you want to analyze and the period of time in which content will be collected.
6) Click on the 'Analyze Twitter search' button to start collecting data.
2.2. Manage the monitoring.
Go back to the monitoring list and in the created monitoring, click on Manage.
2.2.1. Retweet sweepstakes.
In the Filters section, check the 'Retweets' option of the tweet and enter the tweet ID. This is the number that appears in the tweet's URL. For example, the ID of the following tweet https://twitter.com/cooltabsapp/status/1463069818601582596 is 1463069818601582596.
Finally, click on 'Filter' and then on 'View report'. You will be able to choose the winner from the report screen, as indicated in point 2.3. of this tutorial.
2.2.2. Replies sweepstakes.
If in your sweepstakes, in addition to retweeting, you have asked participants to comment and/or mention, you must keep in mind that the official nomenclature that Twitter uses is "Replies".
From the hashtags monitoring, you will be able to collect all the replies to your tweet and eliminate users who have not retweeted.
In the Filters section, check the 'Only replies' option and enter the tweet ID. This is the number that appears in the tweet URL.
Finally, click on 'Filter' and then on 'View report'. You will be able to choose the winner from the report screen, as shown below.
2.3. Select winners.
To start the selection, go to the 'Sweepstakes & winners' section, located on the left side.
You can leave empty filters you don't want to use.
- Start and end dates
- Unique users. Each participant will have only one opportunity in the draw, regardless of the number of comments/publications made.
- One opportunity per comment/publication. Each comment/publication will count as a new opportunity in the draw for the user.
Exclude winners from previous competitions. Check this option if you want users who have won other campaigns will not to be able to win again.
Exclude users from the blacklist by email or nick. We remind you that with our "Blacklist" functionality, you can block users to avoid them being winners. Thus, users included in the list will not be able to be winners
Once you have completed the filter fields that apply to your sweepstakes, click 'Step 1: Filter'. Filtering will be performed among the participants who have fulfilled all the requirements you have marked.
Then, indicate the number of winners you want to draw and, if applicable, the number of alternates. Finally, click on 'Step 2: Launch sweepstake'.
2.4. Public winners page.
Once the draw has been carried out, you will get a link to the public winners' page, so that you can publish it and communicate the result of the draw.
The winners' page includes the certificate of validity, which certifies that the process has been carried out in a random and transparent way.
In order for the participants to see the winners' page, don't forget to set it to public mode (as shown in the image).
In hashtag sweepstakes on Twitter, next to the winner's username, you will find the Twitter icon. If you click on it, it will take you directly to their profile. You can then send them a private message, congratulating them and giving them instructions on how to receive or collect the prize. If you click on the magnifying glass icon, you will be redirected to the publication with which he/she participated.
3. Other specifications.
- The Social Listening & Analytics tool is available in all paid plans, but it is only available on demand.
- It is not available in the platform's free trial.
- It has an additional cost.
- The limit of monitored content is 10,000 tweets per month.
If you have any questions during the process, do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
4. Related content.