Have you launched a sweepstake where participants have to upload a post to their Instagram profile with a specific hashtag and mention your brand? With Cool Tabs' Social Listening & Analytics tool, you will be able to run this type of sweepstakes. It allows you to monitor and collect content that participants publish and then run sweepstakes among those users.
1.1. Instagram API limitations.
Before explaining how to monitor a hashtag on Instagram, you should take into account several limitations that, since 2018, have been established by the Instagram API. That year, Facebook made changes to its API, which limited access to some data in Instagram monitoring.
1) For privacy reasons, information can only be obtained from public profiles. For example, it maybe happens that Instagram shows us that there are 300 posts with the same hashtag and Cool Tabs only shows us 250. This is because the remaining 50 have a private profile, and we cannot access that information.
2) The API only returns multimedia content published within 24 hours from the execution of the query. It is not possible to collect any publications prior to this period.
This means that you will only be able to get content from a hashtag older than 24 hours. So, if you create a hashtag monitoring on Instagram today, we will not be able to collect content from a week ago.
Therefore, it is important to create the monitoring in time so as not to miss content. From the moment you create your monitoring, you will get information from the previous 24 hours onwards.
3) Only administrators who have an Instagram account associated with Facebook Business can create monitoring.
4) It is not possible to obtain the user ID. Therefore, the automation of participant data collection will not reflect unique users. Although the user's username does not appear, you will get a URL to the post. This way, you will be able to access their profile and contact the winner.
5) You only get content from photos (also photo carousels) and videos that are public (including Reels).
2. Step by step.
2.1. Create your monitoring.
2) Go to the 'Monitoring' section.
3) Click on the 'Instagram mentions' button.
4) If this is the first time you create a monitoring in Cool Tabs, you must log in with Facebook and accept Facebook's permissions to manage your Instagram accounts.
Access to your Instagram account data is done through your Facebook account. So we need you to give these permissions for one of your Instagram profiles.
Click on connect with Facebook and select the Instagram Business Account(s) you want to use with Cool Tabs. In the following steps, you must choose the fan pages associated with those profiles and determine what Cool Tabs can do with the Pages you selected. Note that Cool Tabs may not work correctly if you disable these options. So, we recommend you check all of them. You can always go back to edit them.
Make sure that when you connect to your Facebook account to give permissions to our platform, you check the "Manage accounts, settings and Webhooks for a page" permission on the associated fanpage. If not, an error will occur because we will not be able to collect the mentions, and you will have to reconnect with Facebook and assign the permissions correctly.
If you have problems or doubts about associating the profile, check our tutorial: How to link a Facebook or Instagram profile to create sweepstakes or monitoring.
5) Once associated, select the Instagram profile from which you want to collect the monitoring.
If the profile you want to run the sweepstakes does not appear, click on 'I can't find my Instagram account' to link your profile. You can also check our tutorial: How to link an Instagram or Facebook profile.
Remember that you can only collect data older than 24 hours and not past data. In addition, you can only collect mentions from public Instagram profiles.
6) Access to monitoring.
Once the data has been collected, the analysis of the monitored profile will be displayed.
You can also access the monitored content from the 'Monitoring' section. To check the content collected, click on the view icon, as shown in the following image.
2.2. Filter content with the sweepstakes hashtag.
From the 'Photo Manager' section, located on the left sidebar, you have to filter so that only content that has included the sweepstakes hashtag is shown.
You will find the following filters to apply, related to:
- Start and end date of the participations
- Keywords. Write the hashtag that participants had to include to upload their content.
- You can filter by other conditions such as, for example, excluding users that you have "signed up" and that you do not want to be part of the sweepstakes.
Once you have completed the fields, click on 'Filter' to display the publications that meet the conditions you have set.
On this same screen, all the publications that users have made with the mention of the account and the hashtag of the sweepstakes will appear.
From this list you can review the participations and, if necessary, unpublish publications (in the 'Actions' column), so that they can not be entered in the sweepstakes.
Finally, click on 'View report' (if you wish, you can also save this filter and download the content report). The analysis will be displayed again with the data and filters applied.
2.3. Select winners.
To start the selection, go to the 'Sweepstake & winners' section, located on the left side.
When selecting the winners on Instagram, you can apply the following filter. You can leave empty filters you don't want to use.
- Start and end dates
- Unique users. Each participant will have only one opportunity in the draw, regardless of the number of comments/publications made.
- One opportunity per comment/publication. Each comment/publication will count as a new opportunity in the draw for the user.
- Exclude winners from previous competitions. Check this option if you want users who have won other campaigns will not to be able to win again.
- Exclude users from the blacklist by email or nick. We remind you that with our "Blacklist" functionality, you can block users to avoid them being winners. Thus, users included in the list will not be able to be winners
On Instagram, it is not possible to filter by the condition of being a follower, since its API does not allow access to this information in an automated way.
If, in addition to uploading the post with the hashtag and mentioning your brand, you have established as a condition that participants must mention friends, you will have to check this manually. Once you have selected the winner and before making public the result of your sweepstakes, access the winning post and check that, in the comments, the user mentioned friends.
Once you have completed the filter fields that apply to your sweepstakes, click on 'Step 1: Filter'. Filtering will be performed among the participants who have fulfilled all the requirements you have marked.
Then, indicate the number of winners you want to draw and, if applicable, the number of alternates. Finally, click on 'Step 2: Launch sweepstake'.
2.4. Public winners page and certificate of validity.
Once the draw has been carried out, you will get a link to the public winners' page, so that you can publish it and communicate the result of the draw.
The winners' page includes the certificate of validity, which certifies that the process has been carried out in a random and transparent way.
In order for the participants to see the winners' page, don't forget to set it to public mode (as shown in the image).
If you click on the Instagram icon next to the winning user, you will access his/her profile.
3. Other specifications.
The use of the Social Listening & Analytics tool is available from our Stone plan. It is also possible to use it during the 7-day free trial period. This allows you to try any of the platform's plans for free and without limitations.
If you have any questions, contact us at email@example.com
4. Related content.