In this tutorial, we explain to you how to create a photo contest on Instagram in which users must participate with a post from their Instagram account and, in addition, fill out an entry form.
If you wish, you can enable a voting period for users to vote for their favorite posts.
If you want participants to have to upload their photo from a device, without giving them the option to upload it from their Instagram feed, check out the tutorial How to create a Photo Contest.
2. Step by step.
2.1. Create the campaign.
First, you must create your campaign and configure the basic setting. Is it your first time creating a campaign with Cool Tabs? In the following tutorial, we will show you how to configure the basic sections of a campaign, as well as other recommended settings, to ensure its proper functioning and maximize results.
If you have any questions during the process, you can contact us at email@example.com.
Regarding the configuration of the registration mode for participants in your campaign, take into account that Facebook no longer allows you to use the Instagram login to register for a campaign.
The Instagram login option is only possible for User Generated Content (UGC) campaigns, in which the user logs in with their Instagram profile to select a photo from their account. That's why you will no longer find the Instagram option available in the 'Register' section.
- If you want users to be able to participate only by selecting a publication from their Instagram account, in the 'Register' section you have to check the 'Anonymously' login option.
- If you want to enable social login options (Facebook, Yahoo, Gmail…) and also require participants to upload a photo from their Instagram account, check here which social networks they will be able to register for the campaign. Later on, we will explain where and how to set up the option for participants to link their Instagram profiles and choose the publication with which they participate. This implies that, if you have another social login in the registration, the participant will be logging in twice: first to register for the contest and then to log in with their Instagram account and be able to select the photo they are participating with.
2.2. Configure the photo upload with Instagram.
To set up photo uploading by participants:
1) Go to the 'UGC Campaigns' tab of the 'Entry form' section.
2) Check the box 'Ask the participant to choose one of his/her Instagram posts to upload to the campaign'.
When the user logs in to Instagram, the last 100 photos of his profile will be loaded, so that he/she can select the photo with which he participates.
In addition, you can enable the option so that the publication that the participant can only choose one publication that has to include any of the hashtags you specify.
Below, please see an example of how the entry form will be displayed.
Once the users link their Instagram accounts, the photos in their feed will be uploaded, and they will be able to select the one they want to participate with.
Although it is not the most common, you can set as a condition for participation that, in addition to uploading a photo from Instagram, the participant must upload another photo from a device. To do this, also check the box '' and 'It is required that the user uploads the image'. This way, they will have to upload the photo from a device.
Below, you can see an example of how the entry form would look with the two options active.
2.3. Other configurations.
2.3.1. Public entries list.
If you want users to be able to see who has participated, you must make the list of participants public. And bear in mind that if you are going to include voting in the contest, the entries will have to be public. This way, users will be able to see the content and vote for their favorite.
1) Go to the 'Entries list' tab in the 'Participations' section.
2) Check the 'Enable public participation' option.
If you are going to enable a voting period, we recommend you order the participation by the number of votes.
You can also activate the content gallery so that the photos appear in a gallery, instead of one below the other. You can choose the number of columns.
In photo contests, there is usually a period for users to vote for the content uploaded by participants. To enable voting:
1) Go to the 'Votes' section.
2) Activate voting in the entries.
3) Configure the dates on which users can vote.
4) Determine how many times they can vote. By default, a user can vote once for each of the different entries.
If you have activated the anonymous login in the campaign registration, by default, the user will be able to vote by giving he/her email address. Users can vote with their Google/Gmail, Yahoo or Microsoft/Hotmail account.
Other options in the voting configuration:
- Show to all users who have voted for each entry in the competition (their avatar and name will be displayed).
- Apply the anti-fraud system to voters: under the previous options, you can restrict voting to certain countries, block voters from possible exchange networks, block fraudulent votes, and those votes that come from the same IP for the time you specify.
2.3.3. Winner selection.
Once the contest participation period is over, you will be able to select the winners.
To start the selection, you can consult the tutorial: How to select winners and obtain your Certificate of Validity.
3. Other specifications.
The Cool Promo and Cool Promo White Label apps, included in the Gold and Diamond plans, respectively, allow you to set up this type of contest. Participants will have to log in with their Instagram account, select a post from their feed, and fill out a form with the data you request.
You can also create your Photo Contest on Instagram with the 7-day free trial, which allows you to test any of our plans.
If you have any questions during the process, please do not hesitate to contact us through our web chat or our support mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Related content.