In this tutorial, we explain to you how to create a photo contest on Instagram in which users must participate with a post from their Instagram account and, in addition, fill out an entry form.
If you wish, you can enable a voting period for users to vote for their favorite posts.
If you want participants to have to upload their photo from a device, without giving them the option to upload it from their Instagram feed, check out the tutorial How to create a Photo Contest.
The Cool Promo and Cool Promo White Label apps, included in the Gold and Diamond plans, respectively, allow you to set up this type of contest. Participants will have to log in with their Instagram account, select a post from their feed, and fill out a form with the data you request.
You can also create your Photo Contest on Instagram with the 7-day free trial, which allows you to test any of our plans.
<< Try the DEMO Photo Contest on Instagram >>
2. Step by step.
2.1. Create the campaign.
1) Log in to your Cool Tabs account. If you are not registered yet, please take a look at the tutorial: How to create a Cool Tabs account.
2) Create a new campaign by clicking on the 'Create campaign' button.
If this is the first time you are using the platform, you will not see the 'Create campaign' button. You will directly see the app catalog.
3) Select the Cool Promo or Cool Promo White Label application, depending on whether you have a Gold or Diamond plan, respectively.
Next, you will have to configure the basic sections of the campaign, related to registration, design, dates…
Determine is how you want participants to register for the contest.
Take into account that Facebook no longer allows you to use the Instagram login to register for a campaign.
The Instagram login option is only possible for User Generated Content (UGC) campaigns, in which the user logs in with their Instagram profile to select a photo from their account. That's why you will no longer find the Instagram option available in the 'Register' section.
- If you want users to be able to participate only by selecting a publication from their Instagram account, in the 'Register' section you have to check the 'Anonymously' login option.
- If you want to enable social login options (Facebook, Twitter…) and also require participants to upload a photo from their Instagram account, check here which social networks they will be able to register for the campaign. Later on, we will explain where and how to set up the option for participants to link their Instagram profiles and choose the publication with which they participate. This implies that, if you have another social login in the registration, the participant will be logging in twice: first to register for the contest and then to log in with their Instagram account and be able to select the photo they are participating with.
2.1.2. Basic data.
- Name: this is the name of your contest so that you can identify it internally in the list of your campaigns.
- Where you want users to access: by default, it will be the microsite that we provide when generating a campaign with Cool Tabs.
In the 'Design' section you can customize everything related to the appearance of the contest: main image, background image, descriptive text, font, colors…
You can use the options we give you by default, include your own HTML, or use the more customized option with our advanced configuration.
We explain this section in more detail in the tutorial How to design your campaign with Cool Promo or Cool Promo White Label.
In this section, indicate the start and end dates on which your contest will be visible.
Set the start and end dates of the participation (these usually coincide with the contest start dates).
If you want everyone to be able to see who has participated, in the 'Entries list' tab, check the '' option.
You can also activate the content gallery so that the photos appear in a gallery, instead of one below the other. You can choose the number of columns.
Note that if you are going to allow voting in the contest, the entries will have to be public. This way, users will be able to see the content and vote for their favorite.
In the 'Restrictions' tab, you can determine the number of times a user can participate.
And in 'Advanced', you can enable moderation of entries, so that you can review them before they become visible.
2.1.6. Final screen.
In this section, you can customize, with image, text and/or GIF, the message that will be shown to the user after participating.
Tutorial: How to configure the final screens.
In photo contests, you can enable a period of time for users to vote for their favorite image. If this is your case, activate voting in the participations, in the 'Votes' section, and determine the dates on which they will be able to vote and how many times they will be able to do so.
If you have activated the anonymous login in the campaign registration, by default, the user will be able to vote by giving he/her email address. Users can vote with their Google/Gmail, Yahoo or Microsoft/Hotmail account.
Other options in the voting configuration:
- Limit votes. By default, a user can vote once per each different entry. If you are creating a 'Choose your favorite' mechanic, you may want the users to be able to vote just once in the whole campaign. Or maybe you want to allow them to vote 3 times, to choose their 3 favorite pictures.
- Show to all users who have voted for each entry in the competition (their avatar and name will be displayed).
- Apply the anti-fraud system to voters: under the previous options, you can restrict voting to certain countries, block voters from possible exchange networks, block fraudulent votes, and those votes that come from the same IP for the time you specify.
2.1.8. Entry form.
In this section, mark the personal data you want to ask the participants.
Set up image uploading with Instagram
In the 'UGC Campaigns' tab, you must check the box 'Ask the participant to choose one of his/her Instagram posts to upload to the campaign'.
When the user logs in to Instagram, the last 100 photos of his profile will be loaded, so that he/she can select the photo with which he participates.
In addition, you can enable the option so that the publication that the participant can only choose one publication that has to include any of the hashtags you specify.
Once the users link their Instagram accounts, the photos in their feed will be uploaded, and they will be able to select the one they want to participate with.
Although it is not the most common, you can set as a condition for participation that, in addition to uploading a photo from Instagram, the participant must upload another photo from a device. To do this, also check the box '' and 'It is required that the user uploads the image'. This way, they will have to upload the photo from a device.
2.1.9. Legal conditions.
You can include the legal terms of your contest, as well as add additional checkboxes that you need for the processing of participants' personal data for different purposes. For example, the creation of social profiles, the subscription to a newsletter, the acceptance of sending commercial information…
2.1.10. Go viral.
Encourage the viralization of your contest by allowing participants to share the campaign and their participation on social networks. In the 'Go viral' section, add the image, title, and text you want to appear when users share the contest or their participation.
We recommend you customize the messages displayed on social networks after sharing. You can also refer to the tutorial How to customize messages shared on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks.
2.1.11. Save and Preview.
At the end of the campaign editing, you will find the buttons to save, save and preview or save and continue editing your contest.
2.1.12. Winner selection.
Once the contest participation period is over, you will be able to select the winners.
To start the selection, you can consult the tutorial: How to select winners and obtain your Certificate of Validity.
3. Other specifications.
If you have any questions during the process, please do not hesitate to contact us through our web chat or our support mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Related content.
Cool Promo: How to create a Cool Tabs campaign >>
Cool Promo White Label: How to create a White Label campaign with Cool Tabs >>
How to access the URL of your campaign to publish it >>
Please sign in to leave a comment.