With Cool Tabs, you can create a writing contest or text contest in which, in order to participate, users have to upload (or write) their text and, in addition, complete a data form.
The Cool Promo and Cool Promo White Label applications, included in the Gold and Diamond plans, respectively, are the ones that allow you to set up a writing contest.
You can also create your writing contest with the 7-day free trial, which allows you to test any of our plans.
<< Try the Writing Contest DEMO >>
2. Step by step.
2.1. Create the campaign.
1) Log in to your Cool Tabs account. If you are not registered yet, please take a look at the tutorial: How to create a Cool Tabs account.
2) Create a new campaign by clicking on the 'Create campaign' button.
If this is the first time you are using the platform, you will not see the 'Create campaign' button. You will directly see the app catalog.
3) Select the Cool Promo or Cool Promo White Label application, depending on whether you have a Gold or Diamond plan, respectively.
2.2. Configure the campaign.
Complete the first sections of your campaign. These are related to the register, basic data, design, and dates.
Please note that some sections of the campaign edition do not necessarily apply to your campaign (instant wins, viral ranking, coupons…).
If you have any doubts or questions during the process, do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
You can also help yourself in the following tutorials, in which we explain in more detail what you can include in each section:
Cool Promo White Label: how to create your white label campaign with Cool Tabs.
Determine how the participants have to register for the contest.
You can opt for social login or anonymous login (the participant does not register with a social network, but must complete the form).
2.2.2. Basic data.
- Name: this is the name of your contest so that you can identify it internally in the list of your campaigns.
- Where you want users to access: by default, it will be the microsite that we provide when generating a campaign with Cool Tabs.
In the 'Design' section you can customize everything related to the appearance of the contest: main image, background image, descriptive text, font, colors…
You can use the options we give you by default, include your own HTML, or use the more customized option with our advanced configuration.
We explain this section in more detail in the tutorial How to design your campaign with Cool Promo or Cool Promo White Label.
In this section, indicate the start and end dates on which your contest will be visible.
Set the start and end dates of the participation (these usually coincide with the contest start dates).
If you want everyone to be able to see who has participated, in the 'Entries list' tab, check the '' option.
You can also activate the content gallery so that the texts appear in a gallery, instead of one below the other. You can choose the number of columns.
Note that if you are going to allow voting in the contest, the entries will have to be public. This way, users will be able to see the content and vote for their favorite.
In the 'Restrictions' tab, you can determine the number of times a user can participate.
And in 'Advanced', you can enable moderation of entries, so that you can review them before they become visible.
2.2.6. Final screen.
In this section, you can customize, with image, text and/or GIF, the message that will be shown to the user after participating.
Tutorial: How to configure the final screens.
2.2.7. Entry form.
Configure the 'Entry Form' section, with the fields you want the participants to fill in: name, surname, email…
A) Writing contest in which participants write their text.
Go to the 'Entry form' section, 'UGC Campaigns' tab, and activate the 'A question must be answered to take part' option.
Configure the text of the question, check the mandatory answer option, and set the maximum answer length.
B) Writing contest in which participants upload their text.
If you want the users to upload a file instead of writing their text, you can configure it in the 'Quiz' section.
1º Check the option 'I don't want to assign points or categories to the answers'.
2º Add a question and write a statement for the question. E.g.: Upload your writing.
3º In the 'Answer' tab, select the option 'The participant must upload a file'.
2.3. Other configurations.
In writing contests, there is usually a period for users to vote for the content uploaded by participants. If this is your case, activate voting in the entries, in the 'Votes' section, and determine the dates on which they can vote and how many times they can vote.
- Remember that you need to enable the public participants' page, as we have explained in the participation section of this tutorial.
- If you have only enabled the anonymous login option in the campaign registration, it is automatically enabled so that the user can vote by giving their email address. They can vote with their Google/Gmail, Yahoo or Microsoft/Hotmail account.
Other options in the voting configuration:
- Limit votes. By default, a user can vote once per each different entry. If you are creating a 'Choose your favorite' mechanic, you may want the users to be able to vote just once in the whole campaign. Or maybe you want to allow them to vote 3 times, to choose their 3 favorite pictures.
- Show to all users who have voted for each entry in the competition (their avatar and name will be displayed).
- Apply the anti-fraud system to voters: under the previous options, you can restrict voting to certain countries, block voters from possible exchange networks, block fraudulent votes, and those votes that come from the same IP for the time you specify.
2.3.2. Legal conditions.
You can include the legal terms of your contest, as well as add additional checkboxes that you need for the processing of participants' personal data for different purposes. For example, the creation of social profiles, the subscription to a newsletter, the acceptance of sending commercial information…
2.3.3. Go viral.
Encourage the viralization of your contest by allowing participants to share the campaign and their participation on social networks. In the 'Go viral' section, add the image, title, and text you want to appear when users share the contest or their participation.
We recommend you customize the messages displayed on social networks after sharing. You can also refer to the tutorial How to customize messages shared on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks.
2.3.4. Winner selection.
Once the contest participation period is over, you will be able to select the winners.
To start the selection, you can consult the tutorial: How to select winners and obtain your Certificate of Validity.
3. Other specifications.
If you have any questions during the process, do not hesitate to contact us through our webchat or our support email at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Related content.
How to access the URL of your campaign to publish it >>
Cool Promo: How to create a Cool Tabs campaign >>
Cool Promo White Label: How to create a White Label campaign with Cool Tabs >>
Please sign in to leave a comment.